رقــم العضويـــة : 9
تـاريخ التسجيـل : May 2012
العــــــــمـــــــــر :
الـــــدولـــــــــــة : Egypt
المشاركـــــــات : 1,266,572

The Two Greatest Words

قداسة البابا تواضروس الثاني

مقال لقداسة البابا تواضروس الثاني في مجلة الكرازة أعظم كلمتين

Editorial Article by H.H. Pope Tawadros II in Kiraza Magazine: The Two Greatest Words

Humans are speaking beings who excel at crafting words. Through speech, people communicate, learn, understand, and convey news, events, ideas, and emotions. They write books, articles, and scientific, literary, and artistic research; and express their inner feelings of love, hatred, and thoughts; and produce literature through poetry, prose, novels, or stories.

Every person spends hours each day speaking, whether with God in prayers and hymns or with others while carrying out various tasks and jobs. The amount of words a person accumulates continuously increases through reading, studying, writing, and meditating. As it is written, “For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned” (Matthew 12:37, NKJV). Saint Arsenius, the teacher of Kings’ Children, said, “Many times I spoke and regretted it; as for keeping silent, I never regretted it.”

A real-life story from the holy wilderness stands out when Abba Joseph was asked in the fourth century AD whether speaking or silence was more important. He replied, “If speaking is for God’s sake, it is good, and if silence is for God’s sake, it is good.” This is the wisdom of the fathers of the wilderness.

Of course, it is impossible to count all human words in every language, but two words stand out as the best, greatest, most beautiful, and most wonderful in all human literature and various human situations across all generations and ages to the end of time.

The First Word: “Yes”

This is the word for responsiveness, obedience, and agreement to do something appropriately requested by one person to another or from a person to a group. It does not matter who is superior or inferior. It is a comforting word with a melodious sound in all languages and a joyful tone when heard. The word signifies submissive acceptance willingly and gladly. Saying this word expresses self-denial through positive acceptance, contributing to the listener’s comfort, tranquility, and peace. This word is seen in many contexts in education, teaching, and work situations. It is crucial for the course of life and its progress. The beauty of this word becomes clear when we consider its opposite: “No,” which expresses rejection, abstention, and opposition. It has a negative, possibly harsh, impact on the listener.

This word appears in many situations in the Bible, whether literally or implied. For example, in the Annunciation to our mother, the Virgin Mary, by the angel Gabriel, she responded with complete obedience and profound humility: “Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word” (Luke 1:38). The same response is seen with Abraham, the father of the patriarchs, when the Lord asked him: “Get out of your country, from your family and from your father’s house, to a land that I will show you… So Abram departed as the Lord had spoken to him…” (Genesis 12:1-4). The same response is seen in the calling of Matthew the tax collector when the Lord Jesus said to him: “Follow Me. So he arose and followed Him” (Matthew 9:9) and became His disciple.

The Second Word: “I have sinned” / “Sorry” / “I Apologize”

These are expressions of regret for doing or saying something specific, whether intentionally or unintentionally. Some consider this word to be the most challenging in the human lexicon and consider it a heavy act. Therefore, apologizing is regarded as an art with standards and principles, not just something we do to be polite. It is a means to show respect and empathy toward the person or people who were wronged because of something I said or did.

In the Coptic monastic tradition, monks gather twice daily for communal prayer, first at 4:00 AM for the Agpeya midnight prayers and the daily midnight praise, and second at 4:00 PM for the Vespers Psalms (Vespers, Compline, and Veil prayers from the Agpeya). This means they gather every 12 hours. Each time, the prayers begin with the monks greeting each other, saying, “I have sinned, forgive me,” in case any of them might have done, said, or indicated something that offended another in any way. Thus, each one acknowledges his error before others and asks for forgiveness.

In the Divine Liturgy, before the priest begins the prayers, he asks all present, saying: “I have sinned, forgive me,” to have a clear conscience. If anyone has a complaint, the priest should meet with them, discuss what they have to say, and apologize if necessary, without argument or justification.

Respect is a matter of upbringing, not weakness, and apologizing is a matter of manners, not humiliation or disgrace. It is important to know that a “cold apology” is a second insult and leads to dire consequences.

The story of the prodigal son is the most sublime and highest example of the courage and sincerity of an apology. When the returning and repentant son said: “Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son” (Luke 15:21), he received forgiveness, compassion, tenderness, and delightfulness.

Likewise, in the story of the pharisee and the tax collector (Luke 18:9-14), when they both went up to the temple to pray, the Pharisee’s prayer was full of pride and arrogance, while the tax collector stood afar off, not daring to lift his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, “God, be merciful to me a sinner!” The tax collector went down to his house justified, rather than the Pharisee. He did not compare himself to others but judged himself against God’s standards, realizing he was a guilty sinner.

In the story of Nabal and Abigail, this wife acted wisely and offered a practical apology for her foolish husband’s behavior in front of David the prophet (1 Samuel 25), who blessed her for her prudence and wisdom, which included a heartfelt apology that succeeded in her mission and prevented a severe massacre.

In conclusion,

these two words,

“Yes” and “I have sinned,”

are the pillars of life,

whether in family,

church, service, or society. They are the reason

for life’s peace, preservation, and proper continuity.

Blessed is the one who always uses them in his life.

رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

الانتقال السريع

قد تكون مهتم بالمواضيع التالية ايضاً
الموضوع
The Greatest Advice
The Greatest Feeling
But because it spread with the greatest
The Greatest Commandment
The Greatest Commandment

الساعة الآن 01:14 PM