رقــم العضويـــة : 9
تـاريخ التسجيـل : May 2012
العــــــــمـــــــــر :
الـــــدولـــــــــــة : Egypt
المشاركـــــــات : 1,261,266

God requests people to ask the intercession of the righteous

Pope Shenouda III

God requests people to ask the intercession of the righteous
God Himself asks that, accepts it and paves the way for it to happen. I will give you some examples of such intercessions that God accepted:

(a) The story of our Father Abraham and King Abimelech. Abimelech made a mistake and took Sarah, Abraham's wife, into his palace. He did so with a clear conscience because Abraham said that she was his sister. The Lord came to Abimelech in a dream, threatened him with death and said to him: "Now therefore, restore the man's wife; for he is a prophet, and he will pray for you and you shall live" (Gen.20: 7). God could have forgiven Abimelech as soon as he returned Sarah to her husband. However, He put a condition for His forgiveness: Abimelech would be forgiven and would live provided that Abraham would pray for him. Thus God asked for the intercession of Abraham and made it a condition for forgiving Abimelech.
(b) The story of Job and his three friends. In the same
way, the Lord conditioned the intercession and prayer of Job for his three friends so that He would forgive them. Concerning this, the Holy Bible says: "...the Lord said to Eliphaz the Temanite, 'My wrath is aroused against you and your two friends, for you have not spoken of Me what is right, as My servant Job has. Now therefore, take for yourselves seven bulls and seven rams, go to My servant Job, and offer up for yourselves a burnt offering; and My servant Job shall pray for you. For I will accept him, lest I deal with you according to your folly' " (Job.42: 7,8).

In both events God Himself spoke to the erring person. However, He did not grant him forgiveness directly but conditioned the forgiveness to the prayer of the saint for the sinner so that the sinner might receive forgiveness and the saint would be venerated in the eyes of people. God not only accepts this mediation but rather asks for it.

(c) The intercession of Abraham for Sodom. God could have punished Sodom without letting Abraham know about the matter. Abraham did not intervene on his own accord, but the Lord revealed the matter to him, involved him in it, gave him an opportunity to plead for the people of Sodom and accepted his intercession. God willed that this event be recorded to exalt Abraham in the eyes of all people and to show us how He venerates His saints. The Holy Bible says: "And the Lord said,
'Shall I hide from Abraham what I am doing' " (Gen.18: 17). Then the Lord presented to Abraham the subject of Sodom, gave him the opportunity to intercede for its people in the hope that there existed in the Country fifty or forty or thirty or twenty or ten righteous persons for whose sake the Lord would not destroy the whole Country.
رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

الانتقال السريع

قد تكون مهتم بالمواضيع التالية ايضاً
الموضوع
The intercession of Moses for the people of Israel
Many are the affitions of the righteous
Indeed there is not a righteous man on earth who
The righteous
I came not to call the righteous

الساعة الآن 12:26 AM