رقــم العضويـــة : 9
تـاريخ التسجيـل : May 2012
العــــــــمـــــــــر :
الـــــدولـــــــــــة : Egypt
المشاركـــــــات : 1,264,140

They did not pronounce a sentence against any person rashly

Pope Shenouda III

Jonah

They were also just. They did not pronounce a sentence against any person rashly, but were long-suffering, conscientious and scrupulous.
They could have got rid of Jonah there and then after the lot had fallen on him, especially when he appeared to be a stranger: he was fast asleep whilst all others were praying, he was of an unknown race, and God disclosed him after they all had cried out to Him in prayer.
They wanted to have a clear conscience, so they questioned him, saying: " Please tell us, who are you?
What is your occupation'? Where do you come from?" Many questions!
Indeed they were amazingly long-suffering,
I am surprised at their justice and at the sensitivity of their conscience. The ship was on the verge of sinking, the sea was raging and they might perish at any moment. Nevertheless, they insisted on questioning Jonah in order to have a clear conscience and not to deal unjustly with a human being. They did this despite all the proofs they had in hand but they believed that they should not pronounce anyone guilty without prior judgment. It did not conform with them to pronounce a person guilty without giving him an opportunity to defend himself.
As for Jonah, he confessed to them, saying: "I am a Hebrew, and I fear the Lord, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land". As soon as they heard those words they were exceedingly afraid.
رد مع اقتباس
إضافة رد

الانتقال السريع

قد تكون مهتم بالمواضيع التالية ايضاً
الموضوع
The sentence “did not know her till
The sentence “before they came together, she was found with child”
Could it be that Jonah said only this single sentence
For is it possible that a person
Is God a person

الساعة الآن 10:22 PM